This past year I’ve been lucky enough to celebrate 20 years of friendship with two of my best friends. We met in kindergarten, and ever since we’ve been near inseparable. And while there may be 3,000 miles of physical distance between us, I know that they are always a phone call away. I couldn’t be more grateful to have them and all of my other friends in my life. Here are 10 benefits I’ve found to long-term friendships:
- Constant Facebook chatting – no matter how far apart, you’re only a message away (try setting up a chat group so you can update each other whenever you have time)
- Extended family – you include them like you do your siblings, and they join in all the important moments in your life
- Completely honest opinions – you can be sure they’ll tell you what they truly think (and they have your best interests in mind)
- Built-in support system – when nothing’s going right, they’re there for you no matter how annoying you get
- Instant plus-one – when you need a date for a party, they can take the pressure off and be more fun anyway
- Shared resources – for sharing books, movies, clothes, and recommendations
- Endless reminiscing – remember that time you did that crazy thing? They do too!
- Social options – whether you want a night on the town or a night in pajamas, they’re on board
- Relationship support – sometimes you need a second opinion to know if you’re the one being crazy
- Permanent connection – no matter how long it’s been, you can instantly reconnect after things get busy
So why not go pick up a phone, send a text, or start a group message with some friends you’ve been out of touch with?