Raise your hand if you’ve got too much on your mind. Well, I can’t see you, but I’m going to take an educated guess that you know the feeling of being overwhelmed. When things start to get crazy, try one of these methods to break through the mental stress and recover your focus.
1) journal – use an old fashioned journal to document your thoughts and daily events
2) brain dump – take 60 seconds to write down everything and anything that comes to mind to review later
3) write a letter – if you’re frustrated with someone, write a letter explaining how you feel (but don’t send it)
4) doodle – take a mental break and sketch out whatever comes to mind
5) record yourself – practice a presentation or song so you’re not replaying it in your head all day
6) mind map – get a handle on your various priorities by mapping out tasks and thoughts
7) create a flow chart – if you’re stuck on a decision or planning, a flow chart can help you organize your thoughts
8) answer questions – to solve a problem, ask yourself the “5 why’s” until you can find a root cause
9) vent – sometimes it’s best to find a good friend (or pet) who you can vent with (just be sure to give warning)
10) write a list! – whether it’s a strategic list or a list of fun things to pass the time, lists are an excellent mind-clearing tool
Of this list, my favorite is the brain dump (mine usually end up in the form of lists anyway). So give these a try and see which is your favorite. Once your mind is clear, try simple meditation techniques or a motivating playlist to get back on track.
Do you have any other tools you use when you feel overwhelmed? Please share in the comments!